Senators are paid peanuts – Tejuoso

The public is often critical of the remuneration of federal lawmakers. Can you justify it?
All I can say is that whatever we are paid is not up to what we pay to and what we do for our people (constituents) back home. We are paid peanuts compared to the expenses we incur daily. We pay their (constituents) school fees, rent, funeral expenses and even bills of child delivery. They expect us to do everything. If you don’t do it, they will say you are a bad senator.

What is the biggest challenge you have faced as a senator?
My privacy – (there’s) no more private life (for me). What I could do as a private citizen, I can’t do anymore. I am no more in control of my time. I can’t just wake up and decide that I am going somewhere; I must carry my office along to make sure that I leave no vacuum.

Lanre Tejuosho 



How does your new status affect your family?
You have to pray for an understanding wife and children. Once you carry your wife and children along, they will understand the expectation. After all, before I became a senator, they knew I was attempting to become a senator and they knew what was involved. It is with the help of God and the cooperation of my family that I am able to get to where I am.

What inspired you to join politics and contest for senator?
I just sat down and realised that there was no point passing through this life without being useful to my people. Everything is not about doing business and making money. What will be said about me when I am gone? What did I contribute to the society? And how can I contribute? One must be in a position to contribute. And the platform to contribute is more available in government at any level. We keep on complaining about different things – lack of electricity, no potable water, etc. – but we cannot just keep complaining and do nothing about these things. That is exactly what we are doing providing solutions), instead of sitting comfortably in our homes and complaining about the government. You need to put yourself in the position of government and see how it is and contribute.


Punch

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy 5th Birthday to Timi Odukoya; Pastor Nomthi Odukoya's Son

IS NORA ARNEZEDER A LESBIAN? CAUGHT ON CAMERA KISSING A GIRL

People contact me everyday asking to join Nigeria Police – Hundeyin